I Drunk The Punch

An irregular but hopefulling interesting blog.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Boring blog about Dent Repair and getting into it.

Today was a woozy. It started out with a trip to the Lexus dealer where I had my first job. A "ride along" was meeting me there too, at 7:30am. A "ride along" is someone that pays us to ride with me for a day and ask me questions. Yeah, for real.

See, people interested in getting into Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) usually have very little information or experience with the field except for what they can read on the internet. A PDR school charges anywhere from $5K to $30K, possibly including some tools. In my opinion, that is a pile of money for almost anybody, but expecially someone trying to begin a new career and in need of stretching their dollars as far as possible. In many cases, these people have no clue what a typical day is for a PDR technician or what we go through for the money we earn. We decided to give them a chance to find out, BEFORE spending 10 or $20,000.

So, Alex met me and watched me remove the first dent of the day. 20 minutes and we were off to the next job of the day. As we traveled to Warner Robins, Alex quized me about PDR and told me a little about his past work experiences. We had a very busy day, including both retail and wholesale. He was able to watch me negotiate the "higher" price I quoted than the price of a competitor for a repair. I got the job and the higher price. He was able to experience first hand sales techniques, the "delivery" of the finished product, the transactions, etc. Most importantly though, he was able to ask a verteran of the industry anything he chose to about PDR and getting into it.

We finished the day off at Enterprise with several repairs. Alex didn't seem 100% committed to jumping into this business, but he was a lot more knowledgable regarding every aspect of the business. He also said he was going to do a lot more research and forward his findings back to me for review. it was a great day and I believe very educational. Alex was our 8th "ride along" since we began this program and we're sorry we didn't offer this years ago. I know of over ten people in the Middle Georgia area that have paid thousands of dollars over the last few years to learn PDR. None of these people contacted us for any information and none of them are PDR technicians today either. In fact, we've purchased two seperate sets of tools from a couple of them for pennies on the dollar. Sad.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

shop talk is hot....

glad it was a productive day...you know how much i like productivity!

Thu Nov 02, 09:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home